From Insight to Impact: Navigating the DEI JourneySep 27, 2023
We recently hosted a thought-provoking LinkedIn Live session featuring two of our DEI experts, Eleanor Nevill and Tom Waterhouse. This event explored the nuances of fostering enduring diversity, equity, and inclusion within organisations, shedding light on our distinctive approach to helping companies identify their DEI needs and priorities.
Eleanor and Tom, drawing from their wealth of experience and dedication, delved deep into our proven approach that has empowered organisations to develop a roadmap for sustainable progress in the realm of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Why clients engage Thriving Talent
Companies engage us at different stages of their DEI journey, and our approach is always tailored to meet the specific needs of each client.
- Empathy and understanding: we place a strong emphasis on understanding an organisation's unique context, culture, and communication preferences. There's no judgment about where an organisation is in its DEI journey; instead, we focus on helping them progress.
- Pragmatic approach: rather than pushing a one-size-fits-all solution, we work to provide the best support and advice based on an organisation's unique circumstances.
- External perspective: clients often seek external consultants to bring a fresh perspective and credibility to their DEI efforts. We offer this external viewpoint while collaborating closely with internal teams.
- Collaboration and advocacy: we collaborate with clients and advocates for their preferred approach, all while respecting the client's expertise in their own business and aiming to be facilitators of DEI progress.
A real-world example: a large multinational company
The conversation delved into a real-world example of our work with a large multinational organisation. In this case, the company had not previously established a dedicated internal DEI team. Thriving Talent was brought in to help draft an initial DEI strategy.
- We worked closely with senior stakeholders to understand the organisation's culture, communication style, and decision-making processes.
- We focused on building a common DEI vocabulary and vision.
- Sensitivity around topics like KPIs and targets was addressed gradually, reflecting the organisation's readiness.
- As the organisation's DEI journey progressed, we adapted our role, shifting from a forefront position to a supportive role for the newly appointed global head of DEI.
Equity Assessment Tool
Eleanor and Tom also discussed the importance of data in DEI efforts. Thriving Talent has developed an Equity Assessment Tool that enables organisations to evaluate and address areas where equity may be lacking. This tool provides a structured approach for identifying specific challenges within processes, policies, or procedures that may be hindering DEI progress.
Key features of the Equity Assessment Tool
- It empowers organisations to identify their strengths and weaknesses in DEI.
- The tool is adaptable and can be run independently by organisations.
- It helps organisations prioritise actions based on data.
The LinkedIn Live session provided valuable insights into our approach to DEI advisory work. It emphasised the importance of empathy, collaboration, adaptability, and data-driven decision-making in achieving meaningful progress in DEI efforts.
In the upcoming LinkedIn Live session (October 26 at noon CET), Eleanor will explore the program solutions side of our work, focusing on practical approaches to implementing DEI strategies and initiatives.
Guidance for your DEI journey
We encourage you to watch the replay and consider how the insights shared can continue to shape and enhance your organisation's DEI initiatives. Whether you're embarking on a new DEI journey or looking to refine your existing efforts, we're here to support you - book a free discovery call with us to discuss ways forward.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.